First of all, you might be asking yourself, “what the hell is a Phoenix Viewer?” Well, the Phoenix Viewer is a Third Party Viewer used in accessing the virtual world of Second Life or the Second Life grid. It was based on the now dead Emerald Viewer project and it is being actively developed by [...]
First of all, you might be asking yourself, “what the hell is a Phoenix Viewer?” Well, the Phoenix Viewer is a Third Party Viewer used in accessing the virtual world of Second Life or the Second Life grid. It was based on the now dead Emerald Viewer project and it is being actively developed by former Emerald Viewer Developers headed by LordGregGreg Back.
As a member or resident of Second Life, I regularly use Third Party Viewers in accessing the Second Life grid and the Phoenix Viewer is one of these Third Party Second Life Viewers. Unlike the Emerald Viewer before, the Phoenix Viewer is not a favorite of mine even though it’s just a renamed version of the Emerald Viewer.
The Phoenix Viewer has all the features of the Emerald Viewer. This is to be expected because both viewers are practically the same. Of course, it is also expected that the newer Phoenix Viewer will have features not found in the older and now dead Emerald Viewer.
Some of the more popular features of the Phoenix Viewer are:
- Advance Breast Physics on Avatar Chest a.k.a. Bouncing Boobs or Jiggling T*ts or whatever perverts call them
- Avatar Radar
- Multiple Attachment Points
- Built-In AO (Animation Overrider)
- Advanced Build Tools
- and others
My most favorite features would be the Advance Build Tools, CommandLine and Built-In AO because they are the features I mostly use everyday. Many Second Life residents are crazy about the Bouncing Boobs feature. I guess the Bouncing Boobs feature kinda enhances their sexual imagination. Why not? Second Life is mostly adult anyway.
Indeed, the Phoenix Viewer is the most feature rich Third Party Viewer for Second Life today but it’s still not my favorite viewer. The reason why it’s not my favorite are the crappy video lag and low framerate. I’ve used other Third Party Viewers and the video lag I experience with it is very obvious. Of course, I’m not blaming the Phoenix Viewer for it. It’s not the Phoenix Viewer’s fault if my computer is “made up of wood”.
Speaking of computers made up of wood, did you know that there are prominent Second Life residents who discriminate against people that don’t own high-end computers? For them, people who owns crappy low-end computers like me are not supposed to be in Second Life. These people also hates residents who have No Payment Info On File or NPIOF. To them, NPIOF residents like me are griefers and should be booted out of Second Life. Fortunately, not everyone in Second Life are like these people.
Back to the Phoenix Viewer, even though it’s not my favorite Third Party Second Life Viewer, the Phoenix Viewer is still a very good Third Party Viewer for Second Life and similar virtual worlds.
Here are some screenshots of the Phoenix Viewer.
The avatar in the screenshots above is my avatar in Second Life. His name is Kabalyero Kidd and he is a builder and explorer in Second Life. Those screenshots where taken in-world at 3 Stars and a Sun which is the name of my home, shop and 7Seas Fishing Area in Second Life.
Update: Phoenix Viewer version 188.8.131.523 is now ready for download.
- Small change to the Z pos spinner in the build window to allow Z to be set to a min of -10 for attachments.
- Expanded advanced settings panel arrow moved to the right hand side for easy toggling open/close
- Changed: updated RLV spec version to 1.23
- Click here to view Change Log from 225 – 373
Update: Phoenix Viewer version 184.108.40.206 is now ready for download.
- Change log to Phoenix Viewer 220.127.116.11
- Phoenix selection beam: Prefs> Phoenix > Avatar > Selection beam particle effects > Phoenix
- New default Phoenix skin: Prefs> skins> Select skin> “Firebird”
- Build floater addition: Edit window > Edit axis at root and show highlight
- Built in IRC: Contacts> IRC>
- Re added Ctrl-Alt-E for edit linked parts.
- Added Nvidia Geforce GTX 460/470/480 Support
- Option to colour friends chat in a different colour: Prefs> Text chat> Chat Color> “Friends” And “Color text in chat from my friends in a different color” (check box below)
- Improved performance with SSE2 and Vectorization.
- Added ability to see your own tag color: Prefs> phoenix> Shields> Phoenix Tag Color> “Show your own color” (check box)
- Media fixes
- Crash fixes
- OpenJPEG fixes and updated too version 1.4
- Memory leak fixes
- PHOE-54 – Second right click of about land doesn’t display correct info
- PHOE-319 – Fixed PhoenixRenderHighlightSelections: Tools > show selection outlines
- Client tag issues between Emerald and Phoenix
- PHOE-503 – Text on spell check tab runs off floater
- Fixed crouch toggle from messing up controls in vehicles
- Fixed bug in copy key button
- fixed chat window transparency bug
- Removed the ability to use gestures to change draw distance, as code improvements make it obsolete. Progressive draw distance stepping.
- Dissolved friendship notification now comes through a dialog in the top right corner of your screen.
- Optimized and updated bridge
Update: Phoenix Viewer version 18.104.22.168 is now ready for download.
Update: (September 7, 2010) Phoenix Viewer approved Third Party Viewer Policy Compliant Viewer and listed in Linden Lab’s directory of Third Party Viewer Policy Compliant Viewers.
[tab name="Downloads and Links"]
To learn more about the Phoenix Viewer and it’s Development Team, please visit their website by clicking on this link, The Phoenix Viewer.
By the way, if I’m going to rate the Phoenix Viewer. I would give it an Overall Rating of [xrr rating=3/5]
Are you a resident of Second Life already? If not then why not join today. It’s FREE. If you are worried about those people who hate residents with FREE accounts then don’t be. There are lots of good people in Second Life who doesn’t care about your account status or what kind of computer you use. Simply, click on the banner below to join Second Life.
Tags: bouncing boobs, builder, built-in ao, commandline, discrimination in second life, emerald viewer, explorer, made up of wood, multiple attachment points, phoenix viewer, phoenix viewer features, second life viewer, third party second life viewer, third party viewer